Sunday, July 15, 2012

Guardians



Short post this time. This is a project of mine that's now 2 years in the works, and you have no idea how much I would love to be done with it. Right now, the models are almost ready for casting. This is really how I hope to have an army of hand-sculpted miniatures, since I'm not going to sit down and hand-sculpt the entirety of my guardian force. I'm hoping to have the molds for the initial sprues done by August, and maybe be working on the weapons sprues before September.

The idea here is to revisit the most basic troop of the army. While Games Workshop has gone ahead and published their own versions of the models, I took a slightly different tack. The thought that really ignited this project was this: Imperial guardsmen, who are about the human equivalent to the guardian, wear much less armor than our warriors do, and they have the same save? As a result, I designed a guardian which would have much lighter armor and also have a lot more character than the standard Games Workshop guardians. This, I figured, would set me apart from the rest of the Eldar armies you see.

The first picture is my test model, which I built over 5 years ago. Ever since, I've been attempting to convert at least a whole unit of them, and after picking mold-making and casting skills in college, I decided on my method. I've got 8 basic bodies that I have been sculpting almost from scratch (some more-so than others). The results are posted below.









As you can see in the first image, the old guardian is still kicking around. He's gonna be in the first completed squad, so that he (finally) has buddies. The sculpts I'm still touching up a bit, but they're almost all set for casting.

That's all for now! Thanks for reading!

-Valkyrie

No comments:

Post a Comment