Sunday, July 15, 2012

Striking Scorpions



My headline project for now, I'm hoping to get this unit off my painting table and onto the battlefield!

Aside from Warp spiders, these guys are my favorite aspect. I've had this particular unit almost since the beginning of the army, and they've only been fully painted once (almost as long ago as I've owned them). having this unit sitting, unpainted, on my shelf was driving me crazy, especially since they've been doing so well in battle.

I've got a little bit of a WIP for this unit. As you can see, two of the models in the opening picture are unpainted (not including the exarch on the far right). they got left out of the initial que and I had to bring them up to the level that the rest of the unit is at so that I can consistently paint them. Below are a few images of them as they get painted.

After undercoat:


After Basecoat:


And finally, after primary color:


These guys both came out pretty well. I have yet to begin working with the bone colors on these two. I've currently got two more of them to highlight. Once that's done, it's on to bone for the rest of the unit.

A small detail you might notice is that, while these are the 3rd ed scorpions, they lack the traditional "bucked-teeth" look. I decided to sculpt over it since I personally thought it was the one weak point of the models. I have a second unit of the same generation that will be receiving similar treatment.

The biggest part of this unit is doing justice to my Exarch Veredras. He has been a vital warrior in my lists since practically the beginning of the warhost, and has accounted for hundreds of kills at this point. The only other character that has been in my army for that long has been the craftworld's high farseer (who now plays as a "counts as" Eldrad).

Anyways, I have an Exarch model that I have been toying with for awhile now, who is converted from a base scorpion model.



I ground out the arm holding the shuriken pistol and swapped it for his Scorpion's Claw. Some minimal sculpting has been done to finish up the left arm, although I believe that I have a little more work to do here before I'm satisfied. I also want to resculpt the chest area, and possibly even make a new helmet for him, since I still am on the fence about the 4th ed Exarch helmet he got somewhere along the lines...
I'm also not sure what to do with his right arm. I think I may end up scratch-building him his own chainsword, but I'm not sure on this one (I would like him to be done sometime this year xD)

That's pretty much all I've got for now. I'm sorry that this turned into a mega-post, but, then again, this is a massive project.

If you're looking for more pictures, head over to my

-Valkyrie

No comments:

Post a Comment